The catwalk saw some interesting fringing on shoes. Last year we had Pringle with ostrich feather and this year Peter Som with upside down versions. Ostrich feathers give any clothing some instant luxe, and though expensive to buy on clothes, you can actually get a hold of ostrich feather trimming really cheaply off eBay and embellish your own stuff for a much thriftier price! Ankle fringing is so simple to DIY and can jazz up a pair of simple heels instantly. You will need some black material, black cotton, ostrich feather trimming and poppers.
Pringle of Scotland SS11 and Peter Som FW12
1. Take your material and cut out two pieces of 5cm by 25cm strips
2. Hem all of the sides either with a needle and thread or sewing machine.
3. Sew one tier of ostrich feather trimming directly across the middle.
4. Sew a second tier across the top edge of each strip for a heavier layered look.
5. Measure your new feather ankle cuffs around your ankle and mark where to place poppers.
6. Sew poppers on and you’re done!
Wear your new ankle cuffs with a simple pair of heels, either with the feathers up or down – You can do this look with different types of fringing. Click here for another tutorial by Geneva from A Pair and A Spare used a rad fringed suede look.